Sunday, March 27, 2016

Curse of the Werewolf

This wild 'n wooly (and lengthy) werewolf tale from the Jan '52 issue of Worlds of Fear #2 (Fawcett Publications), features some very nice art by Sheldon Moldoff and Ed Moline (??), as well as a few panels where some obvious Lon Chaney Jr. Wolf Man photo reference was used-- for example the first panel on page 5 is a rather well known image from Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein from 1948 (and is pictured at the very end of todays post too.) If you spot any others let us know about 'em in the comments! Oh, and Happy Easter to all of my THOIA friends, long time returning chums as well as new ones... today you all get a killer hairy wolf dude instead of a filler hairy bunny.
























6 comments:

Brian Barnes said...

A&C meet Frankenstein is my second favorite of the Universal cycle, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman is my favorite. This thing borrows a lot from the Universal movies. Talbot's desire to die (from FMWM), the botched reverse transfusion (from House of Dracula or House of Frankenstein, can't quite remember which was which!), and tracings from A&C.

The art is nice, I just wish it wasn't so muddy.

A&C has Talbot transforming in a chair, that panel could be traced, too, but I'd have to scan the film.

Mr. Cavin said...

Some major art cribs notwithstanding, I am really digging the work here. Especially the expressive Jesse Marsh-esque textures and background foliage. Great Scott but the last panel of page six is wonderful. I love that vortex of perfect wolf hair and the lit-up hand. Super stuff.

Happy Easter, Karswell!

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glowworm said...

This is a good story, with a rather kind and caring person affected instead of the usual "I am an evil werewolf and an evil human!" I actually like that he was willing to give up Ruth to John--and both felt so guilty about it, rather than the usual horror stories involving cheating couples.

However, I can't help but laugh when he wanders outside for the third time as a werewolf in his lab coat and nobody knows who he is. Seriously? How many people do they know who wear lab coats, especially in such a small village?

Mr. Karswell said...

Great comments-- thanks again you guys for continually stopping by and letting me know that blogging is still something I should keep doing... I'm certainly not running out of stories to post!

Got one from MENACE coming up next-- stay tombed!!!

Grant said...

Speaking of the Universal movies, this one reminds me of HOUSE OF DRACULA, because the scientist - who isn't some "overreaching" one like in FMTWM - still ends up badly. In fact, as in that movie, his troubles begin right after he tries to HELP the lycanthropy victim.