Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Man Who Outdistanced Death!

We reach the final story post from the new issue of HAUNTED HORROR... yes, we thought we'd give you a full taste of issue #16 to see what you're missing (if you happen to be one of those types that doesn't buy new comics!) Lots more on the way from HAUNTED HORROR, as well as THE HORRORS OF IT ALL-- umm, as soon as I get back from a quickie vacation. See ya'll in a week, THOIA returns next weekend with another terrifying tomb of frights and delights! :)

Originally presented in the Dec '52 issue of Strange Suspense Stories #4 (art by George Evans.)











6 comments:

Kid said...

Thanks for printing this. I first saw it in a black & white British reprint comic by Alan Class, some time between 1966 & '69, and haven't seen it since. Looking at it now, however, I recall almost every panel. You wouldn't happen to know which Alan Class title it was reprinted in, would you? Thanks again for reuniting me with part of my childhood.

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Barnes said...

Holy hell that's great Evans art, even through the murky printing (not sure if it's the printing or the inking.) It's no wonder he was so valuable at EC.

This is one of those great comic horror stories that you never forget once you've read it. As Mestiere said, there wouldn't have been much change to the story if the Native American was removed for just somebody old, it doesn't really add anything to the story.

Still, otherwise, this is one of the greats.

Mr. Cavin said...

I mean no disrespect to George Evans when I say this kind of art isn't really my bag. I do very much appreciate the scope of the visual invention here, even if I do not altogether respond to the style itself. Meanwhile, I do quite dig the groovy chroma. It's yet another story where I'd really like to see the original work, unsmirched by time, cruddy printing, and generation loss.

Grant said...

It reminds me of those Warren magazine stories with a very philosophical side, like "On The Wings Of A Bird."

Grrrrrrrace said...

Well, now we know how Jim Thorpe did it?