Sunday, January 12, 2014

Man Who Murdered Himself / Stamps of Doom!

If you enjoyed the awesome Frank Robbins tale in our last post, here are a few other gems from the winter '74-75 issue of House of Mystery #228 as well. Our first story is from legendary Berni Wrightson, and it's a fun little quickie that feels more like a pre code Atlas terror tale than the usual stuff from DC of this era. Followed by a rousingly exciting Ruben Moreira doomer with a nice body count and some interesting death scenarios. When you're done here head on over to my other blog by clicking HERE for some additional filler fun from this issue including Sergio Aragones gags, Halloween Monster Cards, and more!











7 comments:

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Liz D-M said...

If I'm being strangled, I don't think I'd be saying, "Yaaaaa!"

Tim Whitcher said...

"Or you might call him the ghost who fingered himself."

Oh my.

Mr. Karswell said...

I was waiting for someone to crack that one, Tim...

What would you say while being strangled, Liz?

Morbid said...

Geez, I love that cover advertised for WEIRD MYSTERY at the end of the second story!

I don't know what Liz would say while being strangled, but I'm pretty sure that the last word of the strangled in Missouri is: "Kars--AACK!--well!"

Unknown said...

I hate to badmouth House of Mystery, I really do... but that first scan was one of the most clumsily narrated stories I've ever seen.

"Famous philatelists"? Again with the rock star professions.

C'mon, man, if you say you feel so strongly about the "innocent blood" surrounding something taken from a concentration camp, why didn't anybody ask why you frigging stole them in the first place? You're either a bad liar, or you've got stupid friends. (Well, both, really.)

Brian Barnes said...

The first story seemed like a quick job from Wrighston, and still a hundred times better than meticulous jobs from other artists.

I blame the bad narratives on these stories on the editors, or maybe the writer (Otto Binder, who was in no way a bad writer) was doing his own editing. They read like stories written for people who already know the plot. An important part of an editor's job is to fix the narrative where the author's own internal knowledge screws up the ability of others to follow it.

As Trevor said, that Weird Mystery cover is great, especially the placement of the characters.